Highlights of the release
- Full myPlex Support - view your myPlex queue or Friend's shared server
- Top Shelf is now configurable - You can choose which Plex Media Server, then the Section, and Recently Added or OnDeck - the posters are added to the shelf for easy selection
- Badges! Grid and Bookshelf view now sport badges!
- DirectPlay Support - now works on the ATV client. Avoid transcoding! Save the Planet!
- Directories are now loaded asynchronously. That means that you will see a nice spinner while waiting for the directory to load
- Memory leaks galore fixed - more stable, particularly on media playback
- Many annoying bug fixes - more useable. The UI is becoming more consistent, reliable and snappy!
- Added settings for subtitle size and audio boost
- Fixes capability settings on AAC. The ATV only supports 2 channels AAC.
- Fixes where you couldn't disable DTS and AC3 support under 4.4.4
- Tons of fixes to the main menu where categories should show up faster and more reliably
- Correctly order Channel, Search and Queue in the main menu
The release is huge, just look at the diffstats:
392 files changed, 31301 insertions(+), 1374 deletions(-)
This also means that things WILL BE BROKEN, we have really tried to fix all the MAJOR bugs in Alpha testing, but there will still be crashes and problems with different playback.
Supported AppleTV Firmware
This release has been tested on FW 4.3 and 4,4. Previous firmware are not supported, As always, back-up your shah blobs with Tiny Umbrella - http://thefirmwareum....com/p/faq.html
- Some high profile H264 MKV's will not play back on ATV. There seem to be something that the transcoder does here that is not working out for the ATV. We will look into it.
- Badges in the bookcase doesn't work correctly
- We have in some cases seen a serious issue with network connectivity disappearing from the ATV. But we haven't been able to say for certain it's because of plex-atv, it might be the jailbreak for 4.4.4 instead.
We encourage all BETA testers to file bugs at http://plexapp.lighthouseapp.com to make sure that we get it all tracked and fixed.
Enough TALK - Installation
As a part of my series of improving the life of people using plex-atv I have now improved the installation. You can now use our plex-atv-installer on your Linux or OSX box (Sorry windows users).
Installing using the installer
- Download the installer here: https://github.com/P.../zipball/master
- Unzip it
- Open Terminal.app and enter the plex-atv-installer directory
- update: if you have an older version installed, first run
./plex-atv-installer.py -b beta installto install the beta - Note if your apple-tv is not named 'Apple-TV.local' and if you have changed your login password on the apple-tv you need to check the usage of Plex ATV Installer here: https://github.com/P...aster/README.md
Installing manually (w/o installer)
- SSH into your ATV
dpkg -i com.plexapp.repo.beta_1.0_iphoneos-arm.deb
- If you have an older version installed please remove it first:
dpkg -r com.plex.client-plugin
apt-get install com.plex.client-plugin
Reporting bugs / getting logs
One of the big changes in 0.10 is the change of the Logger subsystem. We have switched to the excellent NSLogger https://github.com/fpillet/NSLogger. This means that you don't have to SSH/SCP to the ATV to get logs. You just install a client program (Mac OSX only) from https://github.com/f...ogger/downloads and run NSLogger.app. That will automatically log to that application. Then you can export it to NSLoggerdata and upload it to the Lighthouse to get our attention. Please remember if you have playback problems we NEED the Plex Media Server logs as well.
Show your appreciation
If you appreciate the hard work we have done on 0.10 (and I am not kidding you when I say it's a massive amounts of man hours) in our spare time you are very welcome to donate using the donate link on the right at http://elan.plexapp.com/ and including a note that it is for Plex-ATV team
Thank you! And hope you enjoy this release!